CSMR 2004 Call for Papers (passed)
The deadline for paper submission has been extended
to the 15th October 2003.
The European Conference on Software Maintenance is the premier European conference on the theory and
practice of evolution, maintenance and reengineering of software systems. Now approaching its eight edition, we
invite you to contribute to the discussion on the issues of developing maintainable systems and evolving,
migrating and reengineering existing ones.
The theme of this year's conference will be "the maintenance and evolution of the software architecture".
Although nowadays the importance of designing a robust software architecture is well-understood by the
industry, the activities related to its maintenance and evolution are rather immature and unsystematic. We
solicit contributions on this theme.
The topics of interest include, but are not restricted to:
- Evolution, maintenance and reengineering
- Software architecture recovery and evolution
- Automated software maintenance
- Software metrics
- Economical aspects of software evolution
- Pattern languages for evolution, maintenance and reengineering
- Experience reports (successes and failures)
- Tools and enabling technologies for evolution, maintenance and reengineering tools
- Formal methods to support evolution, maintenance and reengineering
- System assessment for evolution, maintenance and reengineering
- Migration, wrapping and interfacing legacy systems
- Dealing with legacy systems towards new technologies
- Data reengineering
- Reverse engineering of embedded systems
- Web-site evolution, maintenance and reengineering
- Migration towards Web-services
- Evaluation and assessment of reverse engineering tools
- Maintenance of open source projects
- Product family migration and maintenance
One of the basic intentions of this conference is to offer a European forum for discussion and exchange of
experiences among researchers and practitioners. Therefore, besides academics, we kindly invite all those in
companies developing maintenance tools, offering reengineering services or going through legacy systems
migration experiences to contribute by submitting papers or presenting innovative tools, solutions or
reports. This conference is not limited to European participants. Authors from outside Europe are also
Call for papers in pdf-format:
Call for papers in ASCII-format.
Two types of submissions will be accepted: full length papers (not exceeding 4000 words in length and
including a 150-200 word abstract) and short papers (not exceeding 2000 words in length and including a
75-100 word abstract) The official langue is English. Authors are requested to submit electronically a
PostScript or PDF version of their papers. In addition, they should send a separate file containing the
title of the paper, full names, affiliations, postal and e-mail addresses, fax and telephone numbers of
IEEE Computer Society Press will publish the CSMR 2004 Proceedings. Full papers exceeding 10 pages (4
pages for short papers) will be charged for pages in excess. Authors of accepted papers must sign the IEEE
At least one author of each accepted submission must register and present the paper at the conference.
The Program Committee will select the best paper of the conference and a prize will be awarded for the
winner. The Program Committee will select the winner and a formal presentation of the winner will be made
in Tampere at CSMR 2004.
Sessions of special interest, workshops, and tool demonstrations are welcomed. Please send suggestions
to the program chair before the submissions closing date.
For submission details please visit the conference website: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~csmr2004/. Papers can also be submitted via email to the program chair.
FINAL FORMAT OF PAPERS
Accepted papers must be revised to conform with IEEE style guidelines at