Hey there! I'm Thomas. I'm an ambitious, forward-looking and idea-rich academic who believes in multi-disciplinary research and industry-academia collaboration. I am:
Leader of the
Social Technologies group.
Vice chair of the Board in
Co-Founder (and former UX wiseguy) in
I'm an adjunct professor at Tampere University of Technology where I've been doing research and teaching since 2006. In addition to the academic activities, I spent 1.5 years in UX concultancy Suuntaamo Oy, establishing its business, running cases, and gaining insight about the realities in software industry. I'm a user experience wiseguy, interested in the subjective experiential implications of technology use: how to design for superior UX, how to measure it, how to make it a commercial asset, and particularly looking into the social aspects of user experience. My research topics have covered, e.g., social use of user-generated content, online communities, social devices, mobile augmented reality, Big Data, haptic human-computer interaction, ubiquitous computing, proactive and context-aware systems, and playful technology.
- I'm leading a super interest group on Social Technologies at TUT - aiming towards a bit more socially meaningful tomorrow.
- Principal investigator in a Academy of Finland project COBWEB, aiming to enhance knowledge work by increased social serendipity and intelligent matchmaking services based on analysis of Big Social Data.
- Setting up new EU-, Academy- and Tekes-projects about anything with buzzwords like Ubi, Social, Augmented, Pervasive, Ambient, Smart, etc.
- In Spring 2014, I spent 3 months as a visiting researcher in HCIlab at University of Stuttgart, Germany
My research interests relate mostly to user-centric issues and user experience in ubiquitous computing and other emerging technologies:
- Encouraging and enriching social behavior with the help of modern interactive technology
- Computer-supported cooperative work
- Mixed & augmented reality: making the most of both the digital and physical realms, and promoting meaningful digitalization
- Proximity-based and Location-based services
- Computational social science: e.g., network analysis, Big Social Data analysis and visualization
Current teaching & supervising theses:
- Responsible of TIE-41406 Human-Centered Design Project and TIE-40106 Psychology of Pervasive Computing.
- Co-responsible of and teacher tutor in the major of User Experience in the Master Program of Human-Technology Interaction, in collaboration with University of Tampere.
- Lecturing in a few other courses at the laboratory of Pervasive Systems
- Supervising Doctoral and Master theses & organizing the human-technology interaction master thesis seminar 2017
Some of the past projects I've been involved in:
- I was a sub-PI of Finland project D2D CONSENSUS, focusing on security & privacy issues in device-to-device networks and the new forms of social applications enabled by such peer-to-peer networks and proximity-based interactions.
- I was a project manager and post-doc researcher in a 3-year project CoSMo (Co-Located User Interaction through Social Mobile Devices), funded by Academy of Finland and running 2013-2015.
- A few EIT-ICT projects, collaborating mainly with Nokia Research Center, EURECOM and other research institutes.
- Digile Services - a project around Navigation in Mixed Reality with Nokia CityScene
- TIVIT/Tekes-funded DIEM - Devices and Interoperability EcosysteM
- With Nokia: Mobile Immersion - Haptic Immersion (MOI)
- Community Framework Evaluation (CoFE)
- Community Behavior in Collective Content Interaction (COBI)
- Creating, Managing and Sharing Life Memories with Mobile Phones